Man Sentenced to Life for Murder of Guildford resident Daniel Sommerville, 24

A man from London has today (Friday, 17 July) been sentenced to life, with a minimum term of 23 years, after being found guilty of the murder of 24-year-old Daniel Sommerville during a violent altercation in Guildford.

Nathaniel Johnson, 24, of Barkworth Road in Bermondsey denied one count of murder but was found guilty by a jury following a two-week trial at Guildford Crown Court.

Robyn Kirk, 28, from Mary Road in Guildford, was found not guilty of assisting an offender in connection with the incident.
Officers were called to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford at around 3.35pm on Monday, 2 February following reports that a man in his twenties had been admitted with stab wounds.

The injured man was identified as Guildford resident Daniel Sommerville and he sadly died in hospital several hours later.
A post mortem examination later established that Daniel had died as the result of a single stab wound to the chest.
Further enquiries established that an altercation had taken place a short time earlier at the junction of Aldershot Road and Worplesdon Road involving the occupants of a black Vauxhall Corsa and a dark coloured van.

Nathaniel Johnson
Nathaniel Johnson

Witnesses reported that Johnson and Sommerville had got out of their respective vehicles when they stopped at traffic lights and the two men had begun fighting in the street. During the course of the confrontation Somerville was fatally stabbed.
Following the incident, Johnson ran from the scene and was arrested by Surrey Police officers in the early hours of Tuesday, 3 February at an address in London.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “This was a tragic incident in which a young man lost his life and I welcome today’s lengthy custodial sentence for Nathanial Johnson which recognises the devastating impact of his actions.

“Our thoughts and sympathies remain with Daniel Sommerville’s family and friends at this difficult time and I hope today’s sentencing can bring them some form of closure and help them move on with their lives. We will continue to provide them with advice and support going forward.

“Johnson’s actions were callous and clearly pre-meditated. He not only armed himself before the confrontation but having delivered the fatal blow then fled from the scene and made no attempt to assist Daniel or contact the police.

“This was an isolated incident which understandably deeply shocked and concerned local residents but we have worked with our neighbourhood team colleagues to keep the public updated and we have successfully brought those responsible to justice.”